Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Truth - preventative health care

Hopefully I don't loose a lot of friends posting this, but it is what I know. You don't have to agree, but it's me, & I guess it's just sad if someone can choose to dislike me because I state an opinion. I guess it would mean it's a very conditional relationship.
This isn't about Obama, although I find it very odd that talking bad about Bush was called treason, but many of the same people say horrible things about Obama. I hope those who do would have changed their opinion about someone not like Bush's choices. Really they are both Presidents, who have made choices that some people really liked, & some people really hated. It seems if you dislike one, you should be able to allow someone else to dislike the other even if you don't agree. That is really not the point of this, but maybe pointing out you don't have to like what I say...I agree that you have the right to say another opinion too. I am not saying this to offend, or defend, it's just my truth!
The health care plan as it is, is far from perfect, a lot of changes will need to be made. If you look at many past choices by the government, changes were made along the way. To many important choices throughout history.
People aren't seeing the whole picture...I am only talking about preventative care, not what is the plan, just what I have seen & know personally.
I am one of many who had a problem that could have been helped, but wasn't because my problems started just as I was too old for my mom's insurance. I then had preexisting conditions, & couldn't afford private insurance, & w/out needed medicine I wasn't able to maintain the hrs to be covered at work. I had been a workaholic before, & loved my work, I would give anything to have it all back! I continued to work less & less, but at the same job. My meds were too much to buy, & PCN didn't cover enough to help. W/generic meds alone I could’ve worked enough, & it would’ve prevented so much damage! W/out I got worse & worse, the Dr's tried to find any way they could to help, but it wasn't enough.
I’m now on disability, which I didn't want, but was forced to have. Most don’t know that to get Medicaid, it's a requirement(w/disabilities) to have SSI. I was able to work only a few hours, so I was being cared for by family. I’m unable to do much w/out help, & am struggling to type this. If I had been able to have the care I needed, I’d likely still be working, maybe full time? I’d have finished college which I had to quit because of my health. If I were able to work full time, I’d have insurance through work. I maybe would have needed more help in a decade or so, but I lost a lot not having the needed medical care.
I am costing the country more than I would have, had I had any preventative care! This is true of many people. Truly I had to wait until things were so bad that I had lost most I loved or wanted, before I could get help, & w/me, I won’t get that back. I will keep trying to find ways, but truly almost every wish, plan, goal, dream I had involved helping people. That is truly all I have ever wanted to do, & can only hope I find a way to do so now.
People may not like this, but if your child fell w/in the uninsurable range, as many do in this country, or became like me, you might feel different. I don’t want others who are now able to be helped to end up like me, simply because they can’t get help yet. I once did the math, the preventative meds, were such a small amount compared to what I need now. They could have saved so much, & I’m only 31, I could have been adding money through taxes & all, instead of being forced to have SSI & Medicaid to live. If problems are prevented it will save so much, & a lot of what people complain about is how Medicaid is. Anyone could have a problem tomorrow & be forced into Medicaid, where truly you are grateful for anything. Preventing may not be obvious, as saving our country money, but truly that alone…the savings would be staggering, let alone just saving peoples lives, maybe yours?
Well & I do believe every child should be covered, all kids should have what they need, where they are!
Just my opinion & something to think about.

No comments: