Saturday, March 15, 2008

Adventures on Public Transportation

A busy day on the bus, all the details aren't needed but thanks to a certain dispatcher at Para transit, I had to ride the fixed route, regular buses, even though conditions were such that I could have had a ride with a nicer dispatcher, this one will go to great length, and many transfers to make life using their service much harder, or at least unsafe(by way of early drop offs or pick ups at the ogden transit center, which is scary during the day).
The bus driver informed me I had to fold up my walker before getting on the bus. This is just funny cause if I could navigate around a folded walker I wouldn't have needed one. Then I was forced to stand since no one would let me sit, and the driver wouldn't make them. Standing on a bus is hard enough, but trying to hold myself up along with my folded walker proved too hard, although I lasted over 2 miles. A gentleman much older than the rest seated then gave up his seat for me, bless his heart. The other lady that was there with a walker said she had, had the same problem. The other 6 people seemed to have no reason to need to sit there.
After that I thought the day had been as interesting as it would get, something happens every day on paratransit, but the driver thinking it reasonable for me to stand and carry a folded up walker was unique enough.
Maybe he didn't know what it was, a fellow mother in the hospital when my niece was born, was convinced it was a baby stealer. It was kindof funny to picture me trying to balance a newborn baby on the seat, and run to leave, and outrun those who would hear the alarm off the baby low jack they attatch to their ancle. This was the next weirdest experience I have had.
When I got on the paratransit bus, I learned that right before it had been shot up. I wasn't on at the time, but techniquelly my ride got shot up. Poor driver was luckily not near the place that was hit, although he saw the gun. I don't know why you would shoot at one, maybe issues with people with disabilities, or just UTA, who doesn't these days. I took photos but they aren't great, my repacement ride came quick so I didn't get much time but you can see the bullet/pellet? whole, and the shattered glass. So glad I wasn't in there, right across from where I sit.
From inside
closer from inside, view of the whole

Inside the floor covered in glass

Outside view in, broken edge

Ouside, looking in, the whole, the dark shadow around the right side is all the window not on the floor.
Life is seldom boring on public transportation.

No comments: