Sunday, November 8, 2009

2nd Thankful Post


The rest of the month it is my goal to blog everyday about one thing I am thankful for. I knew I wanted to do this when I thought about it, but I've found it harder than I thought. I'm not lacking in things to be so grateful for, the problem has been choosing what things I would save, & which I'd write first. I am so blessed in many ways! I'm gonna start w/a simple one, it like most I am thankful for, I am trying to find some way to use it to give back. This one is perhaps the easiest to give back, literally.

As silly as it may seem, I'm very thankful for my hair. I always liked the red stripes because they are a family trait, & it being thick like my dad's. It was frustrating at times of course, & my natural Mohawk & strong cowlicks were no help.
Now I've known people who never had hair, or not much. I did not know that actually eyebrows serve a purpose, or had never thought of it. They help stop fluid from getting in our eyes. Whether it's raining, or someone who is really hot, it stops some discomfort. Eyelashes & such protect eyes from foreign bodies. I had taken all of these things completely for granted. As I have needed medical treatment I've met people who have lost their hair because of their disease or the treatment to help them. I've never yet had to have my hair cut for a procedure. Because of this, I have tried to do the main thing many do. Grow my hair to cut it off. I found I loved my hair long, & when I donated it last time it was 22-24 inches, of three pony tales(it must be in a braid or pony before). Thanks to it's thickness, I was told, it will likely make 2 wigs for people who need it.
For that reason I had a bad hair day today because of one of the leave in treatments I can do that is good for it. One day here and there is really nothing in comparison. I was also blessed w/hair that grows pretty fast making it even easier.
For anyone curious, haircuts at some places are free. Last I knew minimum is 12 inches, longer makes longer, or more. Although it is cut at salons, not all regularly send them anymore, so I mailed mine myself. That didn't cost much it's just demand, they only mail them if they can have enough to send.
I also want to learn to make a newer type of cap that is more comfortable, & looks more natural. First before that, I must know how to sew. I love growing my hair & cutting it drastically anyway, so this is something that I can do to hopefully help someone, while doing little different. That's the greatest kind of thing to give back, something that I already do. All that is different for me is remembering, not to forget w/hair I am very lucky!
For anyone interested...all those I know who have done this, are glad they did, & have not heard of anyone put out at all, just glad they were able to help. One of the charities is called, Locks of Love.

No comments: