Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Insurance again, YEAH!!!

I finally have insurance again, after a long 3 week lapse in coverage. They renew my case every year, & I didn't get the paperwork, & other problems, which delayed my review.
So...for 3 weeks I didn't have any medication, which was not good for me. I am so lucky I made it that long, & seem to have only suffered muscle loss, which happens sometimes even with the medicines. The medicines just lessen the feeling(it's like a charlie horse that doesn't quit)I was very lucky that nothing bad happened, & even luckier to now have insurance. For me to buy insurance a few years back, because of my problems, it would have been 3-4 times more every month. than what I earned each month.
For me to be able to go on vacation in a couple months, I need to have gotten many needs met. It will be my first trip in 10 years, & will be so fun, I just gotta fight now to be able to enjoy every moment possible then. This gives me the opportunity, although frightening, to find answers, & hopefully some creative solutions. Being a medical Zebra makes it hard for Dr's to treat me because I am soooo different.
I also know what it's like to have no insurance & uninsurable. I acquired bills that I am still paying for, & had to see people not by who could help best, but by who was the very cheapest. Luckily I had family help, or I would have been so far over my head, that I would have never gotten out of debt.
Having no insurance is a downward spiral for those of us that are uninsurable. Then the only way to get it, is work full time, but with the massive cost of prescription drugs, many can't get what they need, & without get worse & worse till they aren't able to work at all, but the bills keep coming. At one point with me, my Dr would tease me because I sold many of my belongings to pay for bills, & to get my hearing aids. I didn't mind doing that, but still it wasn't enough.
I cried when I had to apply for medicaid, & go through the whole process, I just wanted my life back & to work. Then, when I was approved I cried w/relief knowing I could now get most the medications that were recommended, & slow the progression or deterioration. It is a lifeline that too few who need it have.
I am so grateful to be able to attend appointments, get medications as needed, & have that help! I'm also grateful that if a Doctor can't help me, I can see another, I may have to go farther, but I am never stuck, & have had so many amazing people to help the past while. I always have had at least one, but now it's all, & that makes a huge difference.
When I volunteered with homeless families, almost all had the same reason for their situation. They were typical families who had a child who became very sick. Insurance was not available to them, or not adequate before. Then once a person has a preexisting condition, it's expensive to buy, & a process to get anything else.
If a child is very sick, even with insurance medical bills can be staggering, & often 1 parent had to stop working to take care of the child making it even more of a problem. NONE of the parents I saw were "bad" people, or parents. They loved their children so much that they lost a lot saving them. I've heard people say, well if they can't pay for a child they shouldn't have had it. If children were only born to those who could afford them, almost no one would have them. Medical bills can cost more than a really nice home. ALL the Children are worth the fight for their lives, & I hope more people understand how important insurance can be. To see these loving parents who lost their homes in saving their babies was a big lesson for me. The ones I met adored their children, & did everything they could to take care of them. They worked so hard to get into their new homes, & take care of their very precious children.
There are so many stories out there...& of course this is not my full story either, but with any problem proper care helps, & the sooner it's received the better someone is. Preventative & simple care can save lives.
My sponsor child who I had while I was a teenager, died of something that apparently is almost unheard of in most places. He had the food, books, and some medical care, but not everything that is needed to know & treat basic problems. I really took for granted then that needed medical equipment was prevalent everywhere, after all my dad's work was filled with equipment, but not everyone could fix it like him, when something was wrong, & lacked the resources to do so.
I wish I hadn't had the lapse, but I will appreciate it even more I think, & know I am lucky to have it back again.

Laughter may truly be
the best medicine,
but it's usually not
the only one needed.

No comments: